Tuesday 27 August 2013

27 August 2013

I was at the gym yesterday, so what I hear you cry, sure I go frequently...well I got weighed and measured and have lost another 5lb.  I have now lost 3st and 4lbs since I joined up in January.  This is purely through going to the gym.  I haven't really changed my food habits (or my drinking) but I do work pretty hard at the gym.

Now, I am not dumb enough to think this is good enough.  I know I have a way to go.  But I wanted to enciurage any of you on a weightloss journey that slow steady steps are still steps in the right direction.

I started the gym back in January with the knowledge that the most exercise I had done since leaving school was walking from the coach to the fridge (not quite true, but not far off it).  The first time I attempted the cross trainer I did 2 minutes and thought I was going to die.  The step machine wasn't much better.  The treadmill was okay, but that was walking, slow walking!!

Now I can do an easy half hour on the treadmill at a fairly steady fast walk, on steep incline.  I haven't really been doing the stepper or the cross trainer, but I imagine I can do more than 2 minutes now.

I lift weights, I do crunches (although I still hate them) and I do spinning class.

I love spinning class.

It is hell.

It feels like my legs have turned to jelly, then that they are rock hard, then jelly again.

But it has changed my fitness level.

The first time I attempted spin I lasted 15 minutes, this was after 3 months at the gym.  And it was hard work.  But now I regularly do 3 or 4 half hour spin classes and have started doing a weekly one hour endurance spin class. 

I am going to do a 14 mile hack in the mourne mountains in September for charity.  I never could have done that before.

I still have a way to go but I am moving in the right direction.  I can do it.

And if you want to, you could as well.

Start small, but keep going!!

No comments:

Post a Comment